Operator Harman

Sat Sep 23 16:28:27 EDT 2006

The ICC accident investigation reports list "Operator Harman" as having been involved in the side collision of two trains at Dry Branch on February 9, 1912, and in the rear end collision of two passenger trains at Walton on December 18, 1919.

Anyone know if this was the father of our own dear friend, Bill Harman of Christiansburg, now of blessed memory?

During our numerous conversations over the years (going back to 1957,) Bill frequently mentioned that his father was a telegraph operator on the Radford Division. But of course, there was no such thing as the Internet in those days and the wreck reports were buried deep in the dust of some warehouse near Washington. It is also very possible that Bill was unaware of the wrecks.

I believe I recall Bill telling me that his father's name was William Gaynor Harman, and he was known as "Gaynor." The name "Gaynor" was taken from the surname of the Philadelphia contractor who had built the new line east of Vicker during the 1890s. Bill's grandfather had known contractor Gaynor and named his son after him.

Anyone know if "Operator Harman" of the Dry Branch and Walton incidents was Gaynor Harman...?

-- abram burnett