Icing Stations on the N&W

Sat Sep 30 22:52:27 EDT 2006

A little more reefer madness............

Thanks to Harry Bundy and others who answered my question a couple of weeks
ago. From what I had read I suspected 1966 was a little late for ice to be
used for refrigeration, but the 1966 Stations and Siding book is all that I
have. Does any one out there have an earlier dated listings book that list
Durham, NC other as a re-icing station? I cannot think of any produce of a
large volume that would be shipped out of the Durham District that would need
refrigeration. You don't need to refrigerate tobacco or cigarettes.

Were the FGE cars returned empty to their yards in Alexandra or Jacksonville
or would they be used for non-refrigerated or non-vented products? What was
the receivers responsibility in prepping the car for it's return trip?

Thanks,

Chuck Stewart

In a message dated 9/17/2006 8:10:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,