Unstreamlined Js

Sat Sep 30 23:02:19 EDT 2006

TIA,

605 through 609 were the "war baby" J's. There were designated J-1's, and after the war were streamlined and classified as J's. Beside not being streamlined the J-1's were burdened with heavy steel clunky looking side rods, which caused all sorts of mechanical grief, that the War Production Board finally gave in and let the N&W put the same rods that the original J's had, which were alloy. There was a story that the N&W declared them unsafe to operate without the alloy rods. But I am not sure when this occurred during the war. I have only seen one picture of J-1 and that was in a Kalmbalch book Guide to North American Steam Locomotives, not sure if that is right title.

A.J. Gemperline