Icing Stations on the N&W

Sun Oct 1 07:58:20 EDT 2006

Chuck:
There were two perishables shipped from Tar Heelia, maybe more. Potatoes
from the Albemarle Region and peaches from the sand hills. I can't say that
peaches moved through Durham, but maybe. Potatoes were handled
through Portlock, which had been N&W's primary icing station at Norfolk.

Remember this - refrigerators are usually clean cars. They don't haul
tailings or fertilizer. From my month working on the Jacksonville Terminal,
I learned that refrigerators hauled Sears catalogs and in this service they
were known as "cat" cars. Once on the SAL at Hermitage, I came across
a reefer, but couldn't find an empty waybill for it, so I just filled out an
empty
car card and guided it to Florida. Well, guess what, the car had come
from Philip Morris and it was smoking tobacco headed for Birmingham.
Could be American Tobacco loaded reefers with Lucky Strikes.

Harry Bundy