Roanoke District double track

Tue Oct 3 12:53:05 EDT 2006

Certainly it doesn't provide the in-depth information a train sheet would,
but
here are the SCHEDULED trains appearing in Shenandoah Div. TT #14
effective 10/26/58

NORTHWARD'
1st Class - No 2
3rd Class - Nos. 88-52-96
4th Class - No. 102 (local freight except Sundays)

SOUTHWARD:
1st Class - No. 1
3rd Class - Nos. 51-95
4th Class - No. 103 (local freight except Sundays)

The timetable won't show you how many of the schedules were annulled, but
neither
does it show service provided by extras and sections.

Note that the schedule has no provision for a southbound counterpart to No.
88,
but I betcha Mr. Fitzgerald (Shenandoah Division chief dispatcher) didn't
deadhead
the crew from No. 88 back to home terminal every time it arrived Shenandoah.
The
crew probably come south on a time freight extra. So - Monday thru Saturday,
looks
like one could count on 10 trains a day, at least.

When the Winston District was traffic controlled, there were far fewer
trains on the
Winston District than were on the Roanoke District. Traffic Control was
justified
through the elimination of the operators necessary for the single track ABS
operation.

Now Jimmy - the 1952 track chart shows a siding that opened north at MP 165.4
and is identified as Pkin Spur. I'm not sure this was a remnant of the
former wye
or if it was the lead to some mines, by then abandoned. It was on the east
side of
the northward main track. I might make one more point -- the track chart
shows a
trailing crossover between the depot and the wye at Lofton and also a
trailing crossover
south of Pkin Spur. The track layout was in place, if N&W had just had
foresight to
go a little farther north of the apex over Lofton Mountain.

Harry Bundy