Rail buckling

Fri Oct 6 11:45:30 EDT 2006

Rail buckling is caused by the compressive forces generated by the heat
expanded rails in one section of rail.

The buckling is a stability issue in engineering, not one of strength or
internal temperature. Simplified, as the rails heat up on a hot day, they
increase in length and push against their neighbors causing a compressive
load in the rail (two neighbors push inward on one chunk of rail causing an
internal compressive load). Taking the 'chunk' as dead straight, the
compressive loads can be increased up to a critical load where the rail will
immediately bow sideways. This critical load value changes as the two
compressive loads are applied through the centerline of the rail or just
slightly off centerline, eccentricity, in the rail. More eccentricity gives
lower critical loads. Also the slenderness ratio, very crudely, length over
width, matters, too.

As the problem is, more-or-less, load and geometry of the system, no
buckling will occur until the critical load is reached, then lots of deflect
can occur for a slight increase in load.

Since rail and track is rarely straight and the rail will grow at different
rates depending on local conditions, sun angle and all sorts of other stuff,
the critical load will vary bunches over a long length of track. In other
words, unpredictably. Hence the track inspection trucks.

Ribbon rail and jointed rail have mostly similar geometries over a long
length, so the critical buckling loads are not much different. Never the
less, there are a large number of variables to consider in this problem.

The simple model is to stand a soda straw on end and carefully press
downward on the end with your hand. Slowly increasing the force will cause
nothing much to happen until the cross section of the straw folds and the
straw will easily bend sideways with the slightest increase in load.

Gary Rolih

_____