2 Hagerstown Junctions

Wed Oct 11 10:28:30 EDT 2006

I find it interesting that we have discovered 2 Hagerstown Junctions -
depends on which old railroad map is being used as an informational source. Both of
the locations we have discussed were major junctions (and still are "good"
train watching spots).

Today CP Hager serves :

NS north/south trains.

Freight interchanges between the CSX yard & Vardo (NS goes into the CSX yard
& CSX goes into Vardo to set off & pick up freight cars).

Winchester Western goes thru that Jct to/from Vardo on Monday - Wednesday -
Friday (mid-morning).

Today CP Town serves :

NS to/from the Harrisburg area - CSX coal trains going north on the NS
trackage - CSX locals to/from Highfield & some small customers along the way.

Soon the Lurgan line (of the old Western MD) will be rebuilt to service a
truck/container facility planned for the Chambersburg, PA area. We are told that
the first trains thru Hagerstown to the Chamberburg facility will travel from
Cumberland, MD via Hagerstown. CSX tells us there will be one train (a mile in
length) each way, each day & later in the operation could be 3 trains a day
each way.

Will let you all know when all of this happens so you can load your cameras &
come visit us.

All of these will go thru CP Town - still an interesting train watching
location &
we are still on the map.

Regards,
Terry Marshall