VMT

Tue Oct 17 21:40:54 EDT 2006

The VMT has had a succession of directors who have exhibited various degrees of competence and interest in Roanoke's railroad heritage. The immediate past director was reportedly brought in by the VMT Board with a mandate to develop the aviation and automotive portions of the museum. Many railfans suspected that this would be at the expense of the railroad exhibits. Along the way he and the Roanoke Chapter NRHS had a disagreement that resulted in that organization's discontinuing its long-time operation of the book/gift shop at the VMT.

This summer a disastrous storm blew off part of the VMT's roof, damaging some interior items. Shortly after that, the director was replaced by Bev Fitzpatrick, a Roanoke City council member and president of the Commonwealth Coach and Trolley Museum (mostly a restoration facility rather than a museum).

Bev inherited many problems including insurance claims from the roof damage (the VMT still does not have any heat as winter approaches because the roof has not been permanently replaced).

With Bev as director, the VMT finally has someone with a solid interest in Roanoke's railroad heritage. As he solves the problems faced by the museum, the VMT can only improve.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 4:16 PM
Subject: VMT

Group,
What is going on at VMT? I went there yesterday and the place is going downhill. The Roanoke Chapter isn't running the gift shop anymore. A lot of the displays are gone now, like the Conrail blue SDP 45 and the old Wabash diesels. Their website is very limited. They had almost no one working there. We stood at the window for five minutes waiting to buy our tickets. Who's running the place? What is going on???

Ben Blevins