VMT vs NCTM

Thu Oct 19 22:35:01 EDT 2006

I am not sure what NC sends NCTM's way but when I saw on this list a few months back how much VMT was earmarked for I about fell out of my chair. We at SRM in Atlanta don't get anything like that on a regular bases. We get some grant money from GA on occasion but it is not something we can count on year ion and year out. And we are the state's official transportation museum, unfortunately we let the official railroad museum slip away from us and the Roundhouse Museum in Savannah took that one. So here we actually have two museum fighting for very little bread in the basket. Now if I remember correctly VMT, Link, and Richmond and maybe one more all got money this year.
I happen to really enjoy both museums a lot for what they have. I would like to see VMT put some more effort into restoring what they have instead of trying to do an airplane and balloon exhibit or whatever they were working on this time last year.
NCTM blew me away just because I would love to have the shop capabilities the potentially have on site, but a little disappointed in what they were doing with the old erecting build.

Just my two cents

Jason Greene
Gainesville, GA
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: VMT vs NCTM

Ben,

The problem is not so much priorities in Roanoke but problems with funding by the Commonwealth of Virginia in Richmond. Most of Virginia's population lives in the Washington, DC-Richmond-Norfolk crescent. Most of these folks care little about tourism, railroad history, and even less about little Roanoke at the far end of the state.

North Carolina on the other hand recognizes the benefits of tourism on its economy and is willing to provide adequate and steady funding to organizations like NCTM.

Even if VMT had the same funding as NCTM, they are land-locked by Norfolk Southern's tracks. I would be nearly impossible to get NS to allow them to operate equipment on the crowded tracks near the museum.

As long as the current situation continues, the 611 and 1218 will sadly remain static displays.

Ron Davis

Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:40 AM

Subject: RE:VMT

Sounds like politics to me! It just makes me feel ashamed to go see a place like the North Carolina Transportation Museum at Spencer, and then look at VMT and realize what they could have if they wanted to. IMO I believe if NCTM had the 611 she'd still be running. Maybe not majestically through the mountains and countryside, but running none the less. At least some of their stuff RUNS! (As for 1218, I don't think it'll ever run again regardless of who has it. It appears to be an empty shell.)

In the Roanoke Valley, in a place that was built by the railroad, you would think that the historical railroad heritage would be a top priority for preservation and tourism. I guess as usual, politics gets in the way.

Ben Blevins