Another Connundrum for Detective Miller

Sat Nov 18 09:33:56 EST 2006

"And why go to Plum Creek, of all places, to make a photo ?

Why not ?

Well, for one thing, it's close to U.S. 11. In an era before I-81, radios,
and single track, N&W's lensman has made several sacrifices to produce
such artwork. Those old-times had a penchant for drama. One of my
favorites shows the semaphores at Yadkin, VA,entrance to the Dismal
Swamp. but no trains.

Later on, N&W's photographers made many people pictures, but out-on-the
road action shots were missing. Sometime after N&W's engines were
painted black with the white "NW', the railroad needed an action photo
for a trade magazine. Since the PR Department had none, they came to
me. One slide I supplied was of No. 77 approaching Villamont. One
of N&W's photographers asked, "Did you have the train stop to make the
photo ?" Yeah, right. Mr. Dunlap woulda had me hung from the signal
bridge at Jefferson Street.

So Abe, next time you're in the area, go to Plum Creek and try replicating
what N&W's photographer accomplished.
Harry Bundy