NW COAL HOPPERS AT ROANOKE SCRAP YARD

Thu Nov 23 18:38:16 EST 2006

> Today we went railfanning around Roanoke. I noticed

> the scrap yard that has

> the old steam engines and coal cars from the 1930s

> is continuing to clean up

> things. The bad news(?) is the old coal cars are

> gone. Does anyone know

> what happened to them. Were they finally scrapped?

> It would have been

> great if there'd been some way to preserve at least

> one of them.

> It looks like the area around some of the steam

> engines are being cleared of

> weeds and brush. Are they going to disappear next?

> Phil Miller

> Fredericksburg, VA

According to The Lost Engines site
http://lostengines.railfan.net/news.shtml some are to
be rescued, and 'VMT is currently making arrangements
to move the equipment out of the yard, and the
physical work of preparing for the move is expected to
begin in the near future.'

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto

e-m: dominic.pinto at ieee.org