White stripe

Sat Dec 2 09:15:11 EST 2006

My recollection is that all original N & W diesel locomotives were bought
with self-aligning couplers whereas at least some of diesels inherited in
the Oct. 16, 1964, acquisition of the NKP, WAB, etc., did not have
self-aligning couplers.

Self-aligning couplers help prevent jack-knifing tendencies under coupler
buff conditions, such as in pusher service. This was a more important
consideration in N & W operations than it was on the NKP and WAB.

The white stripes were added sometime soon after the 1964 acquisition of the
NKP, WAB and smaller roads.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 9:36 PM
Subject: White stripe