CPL history lesson

Thu Jan 4 02:23:25 EST 2007

These exchanges, and especially the last, prompt me to
wonder why there were and are no national standardized
signalling standards in the U.S., and why
straightforward color aspect or multiple aspect
signalling (i.e. green yellow red) not apparently
adopted. Color blindness would not have been a major
issue, I assume.

Turning to Wikipedia :-), I saw, for example, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_signalling#Colour_light_signals

"Although signals vary widely between countries and
even railways within a given country, a general guide
to the lights displayed in a typical signal system
would be:

Green: Proceed at line speed. Expect to find next
signal green or yellow.
Yellow: Prepare for next signal to be at red.
Red: Stop."

That seemed quite reasonable to me, and
knowledge/experience of UK and European rail networks
suggests that by and large - though there must be many
exceptions proving the rule - not to have any doubts
about wikipedia here.

So what would have prevented (all?) U.S. rail networks
from adopting 'simple' color systems rather than
persisting with the confusing ones that this history
lesson (seems more like a workshop or seminar series

:-) ) has highlighted?

Dominic
London UK