Wytheville station?

Mon Jan 22 02:45:35 EST 2007

> When did the old Wytheville depot disappear?

> On both of my trips through there, in '87 and '89, I

> believe, I figured the

> depot was long gone as I photographed the area

> around where I thought the

> site was. It was only when VPI posted its shots of

> the un-N&W-like depot in

> its glory days that I realized the depot was still

> there, but now

> incorporated into a feed mill. Turns out I actually

> had photographed the

> thing without realizing what it was. Wish I had

> explored more and looked

> inside the picture windows. Have the mill and the

> depot bitten the dust

> since then?

<snip>

I recall visiting there from the farm (the Simmermans,
out on rural route 4), with cattle for shipping in
1974. That I think was the freight depot.

I'll dust off the prints/images, and see if I took any
shots.

The passenger station may have still been there in the
'70s (when did passenger service end?), but had I'm
sure gone by the time I went looking , oh, must have
been early/mid-90s.

Dominic

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto