Viscose Radford Plant?

Mon Jan 22 10:40:55 EST 2007

The American Viscose plant was built but never operated as that as far as I know. It sat empty for years until AT&T used it, guessing, in the late 70's, early 80's. They closed the plant in the 90's and it sat empty again until the late 90's when a textile company (believe it or not!) moved in. The company makes casket lining material there and still does. I don't think the bridge ever saw a revenue car with maybe the exception of building material, steel, etc. for the building. It had a beautiful lay of land, about 30 acres or so. My brother-in-law was head of maintenance there through AT&T, the 'empty' years (simply as caretaker, more or less) and then with the textile firm. He took me around the property in the early 90's which included a trip down to the bridge. The tyes were, let's say, beginnning to show their age. It became a thrill walk for nearby Radford University students! Because fo donations of Radford Yard land to RU, Best I remember, the bridge is now isolated and too narrow for a highway bridge.
Charlie Long