Viscose Radford Plant-Viscoe Road, Bridge

Thu Jan 25 22:12:48 EST 2007

Farmer Jeffries can not add much. Viscoe Road is the name for the access
road to the site now from Rte 114. The American Viscose was to build a
factory there after WWII and the N&W built the bridge across the New River
to give rail access to the proposed site. There is no reference of the
bridge's construction in the N&W annual reports, but a source of mine says
the bridge has a date of 1951 on a builders plate. I thought it was a little
earlier than that. The factory was never built by American Viscose because
of decreasing demand for its products. For the same reason, its Roanoke
plant closed in July 1958.

A company, unknown to me, built the large industrial building that is there
now in the 1970s. AT&T took it over about 1981. Today the whole American
Viscose site is an industrial park, a housing subdivision and golf course.
The old RR bridge is being used to extend utilities to that area.

Abram mentions Tom Gravitt. I remember him well and I believe he was the
second trick yardmaster. I interviewed him for my book in 1975. He was a
character, but was a good man.

The tie yard explosion occured in November 1953 [I believe]. The yard closed
its operations in 1955.

Hope this helps a little.

Bud Jeffries