Train Numbers

Thu Jan 25 22:54:32 EST 2007

Harry,

Tell us more about Nos. 9 and 10 east/north of Roanoke. Did they terminate at Kemper Steet Station or go on to Monroe, the Southern division point. As I recall, there was no servicing facilities at Kemper Street. What time to No. 10 leave Roanoke, arrive Lynchburg, and arrive Monroe (assuming it went there). What time did No. 9 leave Monroe, leave Lynchburg, and arrive Roanoke. I assume the consist was mail and express with only a coach or two. When did No.s 9 and 10 stop operating east of Roanoke?

I recall that in the early 1960's (and probably before as well but I have no knowledge of this) between about Dec 5- 20 a mail only train ran down the Southern and switched to the N&W at Montview. I believe it ran as 2nd 17 west and 2nd 42 east/north. It was powered by 2 N&W GP 9's (not Redbirds) and consisted of mostly box mail cars with a caboose.

Ray Smoot