Roanoke Shops Neon Sign

Tue Jan 30 05:06:12 EST 2007

I'm afraid that all too often these would have been
scrapped.

That was the fate, I think, of the WYVE neon sign in
Wytheville, that I took a few photo studies of at
night a few years before it disappeared.

Some do survive - there was a feature in Smithsonian a
while back (I think it was about the Neon Museum -
http://www.neonmuseum.org/boneyard.html).

Some other references that may be of interest:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200609/neon-signs
http://www.worldofstock.com/search_pages/neon.php
http://www.roadsidepeek.com/neon/index.htm
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/TAU3270.php
http://www.neonmona.org/flash/index.html
http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/MUSEUMS/reno/exneon/neontext.htm
http://www.aidan.co.uk/photo2581.htm
http://www.aidan.co.uk/photo4135.htm

> Does anyone know with any degree of certainty what

> happened to the

> red neon "N&W Roanoke Shops" sign once it was

> removed?

> I've heard conflicting stories, but most seem to

> think it was

> scrapped - I personally find this very difficult to

> believe.

> Any Thoughts?> <snip>

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto