N&W lanterns

Sun Feb 25 11:20:37 EST 2007

I've done my best to describe their appearance and
condition, but if anyone needs any more details please
let me know and I'll tell you as much as I can. I hope
that these lanterns are indeed authentic N&W lanterns,
and I hope that someone on the N&W mailing list is
able to provide some more on the history of these
lanterns.

Thank you,

Ed Cake

Good morning, Ed:

These lanterns are likely to be authentic. The Adlake
Kero lamps are not particularly rare and if the
lettering is raised (not sunk, as would be the result
of steel stamps).

What has been the source of faking are the glass
globes. It's not difficult to etch a globe using wax
and hydrofloric acid. Most collectors seek out globes
with cast-lettering. Of course, most of the time
people creating knock-offs try to do so for
less-common roads than the Class I carriers.

Congratulations on your acquisition! It's always nice
to read about N&W railroadiana.

Best wishes,

Frank
f_scheer at yahoo.com