Fair @ Sewell's Point (Was: 1907 - Great Lakes To Norfolk)

Mon Mar 12 23:55:10 EDT 2007

Mail Listers may be interested to see the attached cover of the 1907 Jamestown Exposition handbook and the flowery prose used by the N & W.

Incidentally, the NWHS has furnished scans of all of the pages in this 1907 booklet to the Historical Society of Western Virginia for incorporation in a display at the HSWV's History Museum located in Roanoke's Center In The Square. This display is in conjunction with the 2007 Jamestown Festival being held state-wide this year (See: www.jamestown2007.org).
Guess who one of the principal corporate sponsors is .....................
Norfolk Southern!

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 3:55 PM
Subject: Fair @ Sewell's Point (Was: 1907 - Great Lakes To Norfolk)

I never knew until now that much of the Norfolk Naval Base ("NOB Norfolk" in the early 50s) was once a fair site! My father was stationed at NOB Norfolk in '49 -'51 (I was 11 - 13 at the time) and I'd frequently ride with my mother when she would go there to pick him up after work. (As I've said many times earlier in this site, we lived beside the VGN main a few blocks west of Wards Corners during this time.)

pete groom