A tender question regarding a photo in the latest Arrow

Tue Mar 13 22:01:06 EDT 2007

Brent,
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: A tender question regarding a photo in the latest Arrow

Thank you Mr. Jeffries,

I still have a couple of specifics that I hope you can help with. >From what I have gathered, the B&LE tenders already had brakeman's doghouses on them (with an entryway that was recessed into the top of the tender deck.) Were these replaced with a different style "cupola"?

The mechanical drawings at the archives show the standard N&W cupola used on all of its 22000-gallon tenders as the one for the old B&LE tenders.

Where were the additional handrails added?

You will have to go to the archives to see the specific locations, but I can tell you some small handrails were added on the front of the tender's coal space in the cab and on the back end of the tender itself.

What was different about the N&W style of buffer?

The were different style and models of buffers and chafing plates used by varios railroads. The N&W used the Type E2 (Style 1) buffer for the K1 #111 and the Type A1 buffer for the Y3a's. I do not know the manufacture of these.

and lastly, did the tender placed behind the K1 locomotive also receive one of the brakeman doghouses/cupolas, or was this only for the ones placed behind Y3a locomotives.

Don't know. Most K1s got the cupola when used in local freight service. Even some streamlined K2s had the cupola at times.

I still have not been able to find any photograph of K1 #111 that has the ex-B&LE tender. If someone knows of one, this could go a long way toward answering some specifics.

Were there ever any other tenders acquired from other roads besides the ex-ACL R1 tenders used behind Y4s, the ex-C&O tenders behind the K1s, and these ex-B&LEs behind the Y3a's and K1 #111?

Not that I am aware of.

Bud Jeffries

Brent Greer

Dr. J. Brent Greer