1907 - Pulaski as division point?

Thu Mar 22 21:01:43 EDT 2007

One DOES have to be careful reading these old news articles!

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, we can see the fallacy of many
of these stories. Frequently these stories were created by
businessmen trying to get investors to put their money behind their
projects. Remember that laws regarding fraud and corruption were weak
or nonexistent in those days and flim-flam artists rode from town to
town cheating the locals of their hard earned cash. But even the
locals were not guilt-free. Local leaders would talk up stories of
coming industries or rail connections to get others to come and set
up shop in their towns. The news editors were always happy to print
any outrageous story they were told as long as it sold more papers.
(Gee, some things don't change.)

Pulaski was a significant junction when the NC Extension was in
operation. It is interesting to speculate how the completion of the
planned NC Extension to join up with the Yadkin Valley line would
have affected traffic patterns on the N&W.

Ron Davis