Depot @ Shenandoah Junction

Thu Mar 29 12:51:06 EDT 2007

If my memory is correct when N&W 1 and 2 were discontinued north of
Waynesboro on May 19, 1962 the Shenandoah Jct. station was closed
within days. I think it was demolished soon thereafter. N&W did
place a shed next to the station foundation. It was just set on the
macadam surface. I know it had a telephone and for lack of a better
explanation, I would call it a carman's shed. Shenandoah Junction
was a transfer place for a lot of mail and express, and when N&W
dropped passenger service, B&O trains ceased stopping there.

Shepherdstown and Charlestown stations remained in service for a few
years after 1962. Railway Express was still available at these
points, and the agents serviced freight customers. I know that
Shepherdstown was in service into 1966. The local freight remant of
mixed trains 13 & 14 carried a 200 series box express three days a
week (MWF) for REA service. I don't know when that ended.

Rick Morrison