Fwd: Fw: NS and BNSF Railway to Test New Train Brake Technology

Fri Mar 30 20:33:20 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I forwarded this post to a buddy, and here are his comments:

Thanks,

Ed
nw6175 at yahoo.com

From: "Darrell R" <mustang0626 at cox.net>
To: "Ed Cake" <nw6175 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fw: NS and BNSF Railway to Test New Train Brake Technology
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:37:12 -0400

Hey Folks: This technology was around ten years ago before I left the railroad. I remember reading about it in "Trains" Magazine and other publications. The only reason it has not been applied is the cost of retrofit, or replacing all the cars on the railroad. It doesn't mix with the current fleet.

It would be a great thing to have. Now, in a 180 car coal train where the brakes apply from the head end like dominoes, if there is a blockage in the train line (air line) anywhere in the train, from the point of that blockage there will be no more brakes applied from there to the rear of the train. I've seen many trains going out of the Bluefield Yard with no brakes on the rear portion of the train. That is one of the main causes of runaway trains. In the winter, moisture in the air line sometimes makes ice which blocks the flow of air to the rear. It's a "very hairy" situation for sure.

We'll see if the American Association of Railroads will "bite the financial bullet" and adopt this technology. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archer