Today Show

Sat Mar 31 18:54:15 EDT 2007

The Today show broadcast from Roanoke on May 15-16, 1958. There was
an interview segment with Stuart Saunders standing next to the
Pocahontas, and a filmed (not live) segment riding the cab of the J
between Roanoke and Bedford. There was a two page article in the June
1958 N&W Magazine. pages 344-345.

Having worked in the television business for 11 years, The first
satellite to orbit the earth was Sputnik in October 1957, just about
7 months prior to this broadcast. As I recall, it was capable of
broadcasting a "beep" tone every few seconds during its orbit.

Satellite television broadcasting did not originate until sometime in
1962, when Telstar was launched to become the first television
broadcast satellite. Live broadcasting in those days was a
considerable technical feat with a small scale broadcast truck at the
site. Satellite or microwave broadcasting that is common today was
unheard of in 1958.

Ken Miller