Today Show

Mon Apr 2 04:55:30 EDT 2007

> Ken,

> While satellite broadcasting did not exist until

> the 1960's, AT&T

> started development of their microwave backbone

> transmission system in the

> late 1940's and it was old news when I joined them

> in 1966. We were putting

> in second or third generation equipment by then.

> While ENG from a moving

> locomotive was most likely out of the question at

> that time, remote pickup

> from microwave trucks just as we do today (I'm still

> in the TV engineering

> business after 34 years) was certainly available.

> Just picking a few nits..

> Harry Wilkins

> Huntsville, AL

Telstar 1 was launched on July 10th 1962 see
http://roland.lerc.nasa.gov/~dglover/sat/telstar.html
http://www.archive.org/details/1962-07-12_A_Day_in_History
http://www.smecc.org/john_pierce1.htm
http://www.corp.att.com/history/history3.html

Not the satellite, but intriguing and fun
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2006/09/what_is_telstar.html
but se also
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2006/09/in_a_nutshell_t.html

There is footage (VHS video or probably now on DVD) of
I think a Flying Scotsman (or maybe Mallard or Royal
Scot) speed run from London to Edinburgh non-stop,
with aerial footage shot presumably from aircraft. Not
though live ...... some clips of possible interest are
at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/topics/railways/background_clip_commentary.shtml

On filmmaking techniques, history etc see
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/ though I don't
think it explores live production and broadcasting.

I helped research and program a Rail to Reels season 4
years ago, but don't recall the issue coming up.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20030322/ai_n12680782

Enjoy!

D.

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA