Today Show

Mon Apr 2 22:40:53 EDT 2007

Thanx 4 the update. News and speed always take precedence over preservation
in the news biz -- at least at the newspapers where I've worked. I ended up
with a couple of Richard Prince's books after a friend retrieved them from
the newspaper "morgue's" trashbin in another city.
sounds like what I've known to happen to photo negatives at newspapers.

Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: Today Show

> [...]

> on, as there is a bit to think about.

> Video tape was a rarity in those days, shows were more often recorded on

> kinescopes. Even if it had been video tapes, the chance of the tape still

> being playable, much less having a machine working to play it on would be

> pretty unlikely. I suspect such a show would have had little interest

> beyond its original broadcast, and probably was trashed many years back,

> if it was even NBC's policy to record each show.

> My experience with Channel 7 in Roanoke was the 1980s and early 1990s.

> All news was shot on film up until probably about 1977-78, that was when

> the switch to video tape. However, there was an entire collection of news

> film, day by day, stored in the basement. More or less, this film dated

> from when the station first went on the air in October 1955. Sometime in

> the mid 1980s, it was decided to transfer this film to tape, 3/4 inch

> tape, which is terrible archive material. Most of the early film was

> transferred, through our terrible condition film chain, recorded on this

> tape and shot sheeted then hung in a rack in the news edit room. They

> were not transferred in any systematic method, therefore you might find a

> 1964 story on the same tape as a 1957 story, not related in subject

> matter, just transferred as material was needed. In 1985, we were putting

> together promos for the 30th anniversary of the station, and I spent

> quite a bit of time going through tapes. Of course, most all was shot as

> b/w at least until the late 1960s. I found a bunch of interesting stuff,

> railroad related, but the kicker is, the 3/4 tapes were already showing

> wear and tear with drop outs, and glitches. After only a few years of

> use.

> Now the real gotcha on this is, after all that film was (poorly)

> transferred, the original film was taken back to the processor and

> stripped for silver recovery, so once those 3/4 inch tapes are useless,

> the film is gone. The last time I asked a friend at the station about 3/4

> inch machines, she said they had one still working, but only barely, and

> that was 3 years ago. When the station moved, most of the remaining film

> was given to the History Museum, I believe. However, virtually all the

> early stuff was gone by then.

> So my point is, this was a local station, the news film was racks and

> racks in the basement, imagine the size of an operation like NBC, it

> would take warehouses of space to keep all the old film and tape. I would

> suspect that anything this insignificant was likely long since discarded.

> Ken Miller

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 10:05 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

>> Yep, the latter point was what I meant. Wonder if the master tape still

>> exists, and if there's a railfan at network HQ? A society letter might

>> provide an interesting archives exhibit.

>> Andre Jackson (college TV-radio minor)

>> Life is short; update your anti-virus software

>>> Andre,