Pantograph protocol

Fri May 25 22:19:33 EDT 2007

On the N&W, where each unit had two pantagraphs, the rear one on each
unit was used. My father said this was to allow the front pantagraph to
escape damage in the event of a snag. Squareheads had only one per unit,
and many photos show the front unit with pantagraph down -- but not always.
The EL2B's, on the other hand had two on one unit and only one on the
other. Photos show no consistent pattern, although the front pantagraph
is down in many photos, even when both up pantagraphs are on the same
unit. On the other hand. several photos show the middle one down. So go
figure. Jim Nichols