Algren

Sun May 27 00:53:59 EDT 2007

To: f_scheer at yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 17:37:25 -0400
Subject: Re: VRE station near CW
From: "Darla J Galyen" <imsohappy at juno.com>

Frank: Good to hear from you. The VRE station near
old CW just north of the tower location. CW was
almost on the bank of the Pohick creek, maybe
150-200 feet north. Now employment on the Vgn. My
father worked for the Vgn at Mullens, W. Va. about
l921. The only other place I can recall was Algren,
Va. near Chesapeake. The SAL crossed the VGN at that
location. I went there one time several years ago to
see what was there. Only an abandoned signal case. I
always thought from the stories I heard that
is was a perpendicular crossing but it was less than a
thirty degree angle. At some time they remoted the
control of the crossing but I have never been able to
determine where the control point was. My grandfather
left the N&W about 1917, returned once or twice and
then began work for the VGN about 1920 near as I can
tell. I know he worked Victoria as an extra
man and held regular jobs at Meherrin, Cullen, RO
Tower at the Walnut Street bridge in Roanoke. Then he
went to third trick at Jarratt, thence the agency at
Moneta. I believe he bid in a third trick at Goodview
during WW11 and wound up at Gray, Va. from where he
retired. Enjoyed the Society meeting but had to leave
early because of another commitment. You
to enjoy the holiday weekend and the nice hot dry
weather Oh by the way, when I went to Algren, I went
on up the old VGN thru Kenbridge, Meherrin, Dundas
and Moneta. Heart break to see the old right of way. I
rode the VGN from Moneta to Jarratt and return in
1939. Best regards..

Hubie.

May 28, 2007

Hello, Hubie:

I'll ask some folks who may know where the SAL-VGN
crossing at Algren was controlled from. If I find
out, I'll let you know. I know that some crossings
were set up to operate automatically. Whichever train
hit the approach circuit first got the signal. There
is a time release at the crossing for train crews to
actuate if there is a faulty signal indication and no
train of the other railroad is actually on the
circuit. This is the way that Riverton Junction
worked for many years, as well as the CSXT-NS crossing
at Charles Town, WV.

Keep cool this weekend,

Frank