Locomotive Headlight

Tue Jun 12 08:41:45 EDT 2007

The headlight bulbs were normally 250 watt / 32 volt DC.

The number board bulbs were 15 - 35 watt / 32 volt DC

Both used the same size socket.

John Barnett

Raleigh , N.C.

________________________________

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 12:30 AM
To: 'NW Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Locomotive Headlight

Larry: Yes, the 14" Pyle Nationals used by the N&W DID have the unwired
socket on the right side next to the wing and the number board. My 2080
light has this as does a broken frame that I have that is supposed to be
from an A. This only works with the headlamps with the side numbers and
wings and/or number covers.

If the S-1 is using the 'un-numbered' 14" P-N type ( tender back up
'style') without the number boards or wings on the side, an extra
socket could be fitted in , but barely. The height adjustment mechanism
and forward socket take up a lot of room. The one I had did not have an
extra socket, but I do not know the origins of it. The tender type has
a shallower design that the winged or number board type; the reflectors,
for instance are not interchangeable. That's why I sold it to John B.
at Columbus in April. I couldn't use the un-cracked reflector to
replace the cracked one in the 2080 headdlamp.

Also note that there has to be a powered bulb in the back to light the
number boards. This is usually mounted on the back wall of the frame
casting. I figure that the two bulbs were interchangeable- same size
and wattage rating- at any rate. The P-N catalog is not clear about the
similarity or difference in the bulbs. Even if the number board
illuminator bulb has lower wattage rating, it could still be the 'get
home' light if the loco slows down.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati.