Convention

Tue Jun 26 13:05:47 EDT 2007

Marion also has President Warren G. Harding's restored home, which may
be of interest to some. Not much to do in Marion after sundown,
however, and public transportation does not help getting there.

J. Kelling

I think Marion has wonderful potential. Norfolk Southern and CSX are
both still very active in town, and not just with mainline running. I
believe CSX still uses a caboose on it's locals in the area. Marion
Union Station and AC Tower are preserved at the diamonds where the CSX
and NS double track mains cross another CSX (former Conrail) line. The
tower and station are home to a model railroad club and small museum,
and also make a great spot for railfanning. There are several
industries still active in Marion, I believe DuPont is among them, which
means the potential for both railfanning and possible tours. The old
PRR coaling tower at Harvey still stands just north of town.

Between Marion and Cincinnati, I'd choose Marion. Most of the railroad
action is concentrated around the station and diamonds, and it won't be
as congested as a large city. It is also an excellent opportunity to
have a convention in a post 1964 N&W town.

Marty Flick

Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 11:15 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Convention

The PRR society had its 2004 convention in the Cincy area, with its
banquet in the rotunda of Cincinnati Union Terminal (very impressive).
"A" Tower above the terminal is in the hands of the local NRHS chapter,
which has restored it to its working appearance, and is eager to show it
off to visitors. An extensive railroad library is also there, and a
great view of the valley railroad yards is possible. Former SR Ludlow
yard, on the Kentucky side of the Ohio river, has a museum of old
railroad equipment.
In other words, I think Cincy would not disappoint.

J. Kelling
Greenbelt, MD

Having ridden the N&W to Cincinnati in 1965, I think it's worthy of
consideration. The Union station is much diminished but still
impressive.

Jeff
Two Blocks from the N&W Valley Line