Fwd: What IS this?

Sat Jul 7 20:10:27 EDT 2007

I'll jump in and guess that it is a stone mason's mallet. Many craft mallets were round so the craftsman's attention could be directed toward the chisel and work (creation) instead of being distracted by the direction of the hammering tool. But the prongs are puzzling unless there was some sort of wooden handle.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg,VA