Saw-By

Thu Jul 12 10:02:31 EDT 2007

Dave

The "saw-by" I am familiar with when neither of the opposing
trains would fit in a siding is accomplished by breaking one of the trains
in two (or three or..) sections that will fit the siding. Say train #1 is
broken this way prior to reaching the siding. The first section then
proceeds into the siding clearing the main for train #2. Train #2 then
proceeds through on the main until it is clear of the siding switch and
couples to the second section of Train #1. At that point Train #1's first
section returns to the main, having passed train #2 and proceeds far enough
down the main so that Train #2 can back up, pulling the second section of
train #1 into the siding on the main. There it uncouples from Section 2 of
Train #1 and backs up to clear the siding switch. Train #2 then enters the
siding going around train #1's second section and goes on it's way. Train
#1's first section then backs up to couple with it's second section and
proceeds on it's way.

It's a time consuming and laborious operation but it makes the move
possible. I guess all the back and forth movements and having to 'cut' a
train in two lends itself to the 'saw'.

Harry (not Bundy) Wilkins