Boaz Pusher siding ( was Operations between Bluefield and Maybeury)

Wed Aug 1 20:55:28 EDT 2007

Dave,

I would place the pusher siding at the point on the map beside the "N" in the "N and W" label just east of Vinton. The road that parallels Rt. 460 is King Street. The road which turns off of King St. and crosses the tracks is Berkley Rd. There used to be a dirt/gravel farm road that came off Berkley Rd. and paralleled the tracks eastward to the "honey hole" next to the siding (this can be seen as the broken lines on the map). As I understand it, not having been there in steam days, the pusher siding was a stub end track, trailing point east, south of the EB Main, where the pusher waited for its next assignment.

I can't honestly tell you the SOP for the return trip down the mountain. If CTC was in effect (that's another subject which I don't have time to research right now), then there would be no problem running either track on signal indication.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Boaz Pusher siding ( was Operations between Bluefield and Maybeury)

I circled an area on this jpg file that may be it. Can you please confirm or correct?
(See attached file: Boaz Pusher Siding.JPG)

>From this siding, were there switches to get to either track?
When the pusher drifted back down, did it descend on the same track ( EB ) or move to the other side ( WB )?

Thanks,
Dave.

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:10 PM
Subject: Operations between Bluefield and Maybeury

Now, going to the other side of Roanoke, what is a good way to identify the location of Boaz siding on the topo maps?

Boaz pusher siding is (or was) 1.03 miles east of Vinton (MP N255.0). It is just east of the 1st road crossing east of Vinton. The area is locally known as Berkley Bottom. Hope this helps.

Jeff Sanders