Boaz Pix

Sat Aug 4 14:01:06 EDT 2007

Frank,

I would be surprised if there was ever a pusher stationed at Irving after
the mallets came into wide-scale use in the 1920's. It would have been an
extremely rare occurrence for a train as heavy as a coal drag to be moving
westbound, so there wouldn't have been the worries about drawbar strength as
there was with eastbound coal moves. I grew up in Farmville in the '50's
and '60's, and my memory (which is certainly not definitive) is that any
westbound train of average or greater length or tonnage was doubleheader out
of Crewe. An A and a Y or two Y's could probably handle any grade,
including Blue Ridge, between Crewe and Roanoke. There was actually a
considerable grade out of Farmville westbound, but those doubleheaders had
no trouble maintaining track speed there. If extra power was needed for
Blue Ridge, I'm guessing that it would be added at Kinney in Lynchburg, but
others will certainly know more about that than I.

Sam Putney

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:09 PM
Subject: Boaz Pix