1907 - S.A.L. Great Coal Road

Wed Aug 8 21:36:09 EDT 2007

Alex,
It really is a great book.............Coalwood was my Mom's home town. In
the book are both pictures of my Grandfather, W.G.Mason, in a picture of the
mining company's management team and one of my Mom at a dance when she was
in her teens. Anyone realy interested in an in-depth study of Southern WV
coal mining in the first half of the 20th century and it's associated
culture should obtain and read Alex's books on COALWOOD and GARY HOLLOW.
Both are available through the NWHS.

Best regards,
Ed Painter - Narrows, VA - Currently Russellville, AR

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: 1907 - S.A.L. Great Coal Road

> This would also be the same George Carter around whom the new book

> "Coalwood" is written. Bokk includes picture of Carter, Ryan, Ream, Blair

> and others as Carterr attempts to work out financing.

> "Coalwood" is available through N&W Historical Society book sales.

> Alex Schust

>>> S.A.L. GREAT COAL ROAD

>>> Richmond, Va., July 25. -- Thomas Fortune Ryan and his associates in

>>> the world of finance have on foot a plan to make the Seaboard Air Line

>>> one of the greatest coal-carrying roads in the country by opening up an

>>> enormous coal field in Virginia and connecting it with the Seaboard Air

>>> Line by means of a 200-mile railway line, now being built and known as

>>> the South and Western Railway.

>>> The news comes with peculiar force at this time, when persistent

>>> rumors of a receivership for the Seaboard Air Line are abroad when the

>>> earnings of that road have fallen to so low an ebb that for the last six

>>> months not even fixed charges have been paid by freight and passenger

>>> traffic.

>>> http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=C040