Interlocking modifications (was winston-salem district)

Fri Aug 10 12:32:56 EDT 2007

Harry Bundy wrote,

"When NS abandoned the track Greensboro to Rural Hall, the
bisecting route was eliminated, but apparently NS only modified
the interlocking. When a northbound shunts the approach
circuit, the interlocking continues to "search" for trains in the
block toward Belews Creek Jct., and maybe for those Winston-Salem
Division trains that'll never come."
Harry Bundy

This makes sense to me. NS seemed to do this at several interlockings. I know they did a similiar senario at Rural Retreat when they removed the passing track in 1990 or 91. They removed the passing track, and accompanying signals, but left the brackets and the signals for the main. Both ends of the former passing track were still interlockings as far as the dispatcher and the track circuits were concerned, but the track itself and switches were gone.

I suppose this was the easiest and quickest way to accomplish the changes, especially since the new signal system would upgrade all the components and require different track circuit layouts.

Here's a photo of the East End Rural Retreat signal not long before it was retired.

It has since been replaced, but is still a control point. The West End Rural Retreat control point was removed and now has no signals.

I think it is safe to say that when the new signals are activated on the Winston Salem district they probably won't behave the same way the current ones do.

Does anyone know if the Winston Salem line will be automatic, or Traffic Control?

Ben Blevins