1907 - Salem's Glass Plant

Fri Aug 17 23:21:01 EDT 2007

Roanoke Times - August 17, 1907

Salem's Glass Plant

We are advised by General Manager E.S. Barnitz, of the Catawba
Valley Railway and Mining Company, that their glass plant, in this
place, will be completed and in operation early in September, and
that they already have booked contracts for bottles, etc., for
delivery beginning with September 15th. Several glassblowers have
already arrived, and others will be here in time for the starting of
the factory. These men are of a high class of skilled mechanics, and
command the highest wages paid to labor of any character in this
country, ranging from $7.50 to $15 per day. It is expected that
within a short time there will be from 100 to 150 operatives at work
in this plant, which is one of the most modern and up to date in the
United States. It will be a model plant of its character, with every
facility for the successful manufacture of glassware, and has been
built under the personal supervision of Mr. Robert Ballentine, who
will have charge of the plant, and who is a thoroughly experienced
and efficient man for the place. When in operation it will be one of
the most interesting and important of all the enterprises in this
section, and we shall take pleasure in giving our readers in an early
issue a complete description of it and its work. -- Salem Times-Register