unusual consist

Sat Aug 18 13:17:20 EDT 2007

Hi Peter:

Did you happen to notice if the "unusual" cars and/or caboose were painted olive drab and marked DODX?

It sounds like what you are describing are "caskets" used for transporting spent nuclear fuel rods. Norfolk Naval Shipyard and Newport News Ship Building both use this type of car from time to time when either a carrier or sub is in for refueling. I've also seen horizontal caskets on CSX in Richmond.

Here's a link to some photos of what I think you're talking about.
http://southern.railfan.net/flat/cars/loads/dodx/dodx.html

I had a buddy at one time who lived in Wytheville who took photos of similar train that came through several years ago.

Hope that helps,

Ed Cake
nw6175 at yahoo.com

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } This morning about 7:15 am an odd train went thru Jonesborough, TN headed west.
Two UP engines an empty flat car, two very unusual cars, a flat car and a Caboose.

The two unusual cars had well protected and or supported cylindrical loads topped with silver caps.
It looked similar to two very large R2-D2’s. It’s very difficult to take photographs when still in bed and just looking out the window.

Does anyone have any information on this train?

Peter Heimbach-Jonesborough TN