J - Class Headlights

Sun Sep 9 01:16:33 EDT 2007

Well, Harry, since the subject is headlights, I'll guess that the West painting shows a double-sealed beam on the A.

But if this is the painting I think you're referring to (the one that Ron Basham commissioned from West) the thing that bothered me the most about it was that he had the Class A coming out of the spur that leads into the Boxley stone quarry! I asked Ron why he would have West depict an A switching the quarry. His response, if I remember correctly--and Ron is no longer with us to speak for himself--was that West just did it and he (Ron) didn't know what the picture would look like until he saw the finished product.

Sam Putney

Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: J - Class Headlights

Artist Robert West has a painting titled "Blue Ridge Depot".
Anyone note a faux pas in that rendering ? But the master
of railroad artist, Howard Fogg, painted 1218 passing a
stop and stay signal. Nothing wrong about the headlight,
but where's the error ?
Harry Bundy