Latest Arrow, convention comments

Tue Sep 18 07:55:32 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/17/2007 10:45:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

When did this happen?
Jimmy Lisle

I can't pin point the date the incident at "KM" happened - about
the best I can do is tell you it was in the late 70's. I'm not
sure who Mr. Melvin is either. The RFE was from the Radford
Division and there was an Asst. Trainmaster on the engine that
had been in Roanoke where I made his acquaintance. He was
told he'd never advance another step. That was a real shame
because the guy had many talents and an attitude unlike most
trainmasters, but I understand he's still railroading.

Certainly there have been signal malfunctions. One I was told
about happened on Roanoke Terminal where there was a
collision involving a "false" clear. The head of Signals and
Communications said it wasn't possible, so the Vice President-
Operations invited him to visit the site and even provided the ride.
Sure enough, the signal was clear.

But even if the blame is shifted to Signals and Communications,
passing a "stop" signal may lead to smashing results.

Harry Bundy