Shenandoah Junction

Mon Oct 8 10:54:57 EDT 2007

Joe,

Bob Cohen has beaten you to the punch and already contacted me about this.
This is what I told him.
The grade for this portion of the SVRR was completed in the 1870s, but no
rail was laid upon it. Several years later after E.W. Clark & Co. became
involved anfd gained control of the SVRR, they began laying rail. Yes, the
originial right-of-way was planned for a grade crossing but B&O objected oln
grounds of congestion and the line was moved slightly westward with the
bridge crossing overhead.

The source of this was the notebooks and minutes of the SVRR BOD which I
accessed at VPI&SU for my Shenandoah Book. I understand NS has reclaimed
material from the Library, and the notes may be now in the hands of NS if
they are no langer at VPI&SU.

Mason Cooper