N&W/Scioto Valley Question

Mon Oct 8 11:46:43 EDT 2007

Guys; From my sources including some primary reference sources, I have
never seen or read of any connections or cross-overs that would get the C&O
off of the N&W between Glen Jean or Valley Crossing between 1917 and 1927.
It would seem reasonable to think that such was done, but I have no evidence
that this was ever done.

One would have to assume that the lease, since that is what it was, may have
precluded the C&O getting off of the N&W and reducing any payments.

The C&O operating methods, 'drag freights', and the N&W were in conflict
through out this arrangement, 1917 to 1927, and the N&W lengthened sidings
before and during this period to get the C&O out of the way. The N&W was
happy to see the C&O go in 1927.

However, the C&O lease probably did pay for all of the sidings and
double-tracking of the Columbus District that the N&W made during that
period, which were quite extensive. The N&W started on upgrading the line
for the C&O traffic in 1914, if I remember correctly.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____