Cromley, Ohio

Tue Oct 9 13:56:48 EDT 2007

Hi Gary:

Do you happen to know when double track was completed to this point
(Cromley)? The location of the side track would put it in the current
location of the eastbound (southbound) track. Was there a series of sidings
that were tied together to make double track to this point?

Whit and I appreciate all of this great information you all are providing
us.

Eric

> From an old reference book of mine written by an N&W RoW engineer between

> 1893 and 1898, Cromley, Ohio was the location of a passing siding of 2800

> feet of length and 2500 feet of clearance at MP 682 and 1020 feet. It was

> on the south side of the track (west is towards Columbus so this is on the

> compass east side of the line). No other notes on Cromley are in this book,

> station, train order office, shanty or whatever.

> In this book, stations are noted (but not at Circleville as the sheds were

> on the mainline and tied back into the C&MV station and crossing, MP675.68)

> at Hopetown (MP 659 & 1163 feet), Kinnickinnick (MP662&3170 ft), Kingston

> (MP666&1824'), Elmwood (MP668&2809'), Hayesville (MP671&1346'), Ashville

> (MP684 &2019'), Duvalls (MP688&393') Lockbourne (MP691&1591') and Reeses

> Station at 694 & 414 feet. No station at Cromley.

> Now, lots of postcards and old photos show Circleville C&MV station,

> Kingston has a least two postcard shots, and Duvalls has a shot in the

> valuation photos, Ashville has numerous shots and one , possible two

> postcard shots, and Lockbourne one shot. Kinnickinnick, Elmwood, Hayesville

> , I have never seen photos of – but I didn't realize that Reeses ever had a

> station.

> Interestingly enough, this book calls out a Bell's Elevator Siding at MP

> 676 and 2145 feet, in the Circleville area proper. But it makes no note at

> all of Bell's Crossing w/b out of Circleville a couple of miles. There was

> a Scioto Valley Traction station there and I have a photo of that which

> shows the station and the SVT underpass under the N&W.

> From the book:

> For Circleville

> Mile

> Plus feet

> Station

> Name

> Company or Private

> Side of track

> Connection

> Total length

> Clearance length

> 675

> 2317 (?)

> Circleville

> New passing siding

> Company

> Both ends

> 1089

> 789

> 675

> 1718

> C&MV transfer

> Company

> East end

> 2054

> 1904

> 675

> 1800

> Dunlap's siding

> Company

> East end

> 336

> 218

> 675

> 2536

> Nile's siding

> [...]

Eric at CG Tower
http://www.cg-tower.com

No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.