1907 - Mr. Roosevelt Visits Roanoke

Tue Oct 23 22:00:00 EDT 2007

Roanoke Times - October 24, 1907

MR. ROOSEVELT VISITS ROANOKE

President Stops Here a Few Minutes En Route to Washington

IN HAPPY VEIN, HE SPEAKS A FEW WORDS

Glad to See the Fine Crops But De-
clare the Best Thing to Raise Is
Crop of Good Citizenship -- Special
Train Reaches National Capital
Without Accident.

It is estimated that there were fully 2,500 people at the
passenger station yesterday morning to greet President Roosevelt on
the occasion of his visit here. The train was reported as being one
hour late, and it was announced that it would not arrive until 9:10.
The time was made up between Bristol and the special bearing the
President and his party pulled into the station at exactly 8:10.

An effort was made to keep the crowd back from the car sheds, but
when the train came in the boys started across the tracks, an so the
whole platforms and yards were filled. The train pulled on through
the station without stopping, but the President was on the rear
platform and responded with bows and waves of the hands to the
enthusiastic cheers of the crowd. It was reported that the train
would not stop, but it came to a halt in the yards, and the crowd
started in a run. Pretty soon they came back and soon afterwards the
train backed up to the station. Owing to the large crowd and perhaps
a little hoarseness on the part of the President, his full speech
could not be secured, but he spoke about as follows:

"It is a great pleasure to me to be back in your great and
beautiful state - the Old Dominion - Virginia. I am impressed with
the abounding prosperity of this as no other section, as the
development has been greater throughout the Appalachian and Piedmont
region of Virginia and the states to the south. And friends, had I
failed to see the material prosperity, there is something I care for
even more, and that is the standard of citizenship. (Great applause.)

"I am glad to see your manufactories and I am glad to see your
crops, but the best crop is the crop of good citizenship. And I base
my firm belief in the future greatness of the United States, and
because I think fundamental endeavor the greatest thing in whatever
part of the Union he or she may dwell, the average man or woman tries
to do his or her duty in life, you need in your public servant."

At this juncture, a request was made on the President to turn
around and address the audience on the other side of his car. Turning, he said:
"I will be over there in a moment."

Continuing his talk to the crowd on the opposite side, he said:
"If a man is an honest man, if he has the qualities that make him
a good father, a good husband, a man whom you can trust when you do
business with him, that you will be glad to have as a neighbor, then
he has those qualities which the public man must have. You cannot
afford ever the lack of the elements of the fruits of honesty,
courage and common sense, and if he as those things, with your
backing, he can work out the solution of the problems with which he as to deal.

"Well, good-bye and good luck to you - I must talk to these people
on this side awhile."

When the President turned around a number of boys started under th train.

"Get out of there - get out of there you boys; I don't wan to
diminish Roanoke's citizenship."

Before he could being his talk to the crowd on the other side, his
train pulled out slowly.
Waving his hand he cried: "I am very glad to have the chance of
seeing you people - very glad to have had this opportunity of
catching this glimpse of you - good luck - good-by." (Applause.)

The only reference to his bear hunt in the wilds of Mississippi
was his opening sentence in which he remarked: "I suppose you want me
to tell you something about my bear hunt, but I haven't the time."

The young ladies of Virginia College sent the President a
magnificent bouquet of American Beauty roses, which was delivered to
him by Mr. Williams, of The Times, and with his characteristic smile
graciously accepted.

The President was in the best of humor and gave evidence of his
delight at the reception given him by the people of Roanoke. He was
decidedly tanned and sunburnt from his recent outing.

----

Washington. Oct. 23. -- President Roosevelt reached the White House
from his Southern trip this afternoon. His special train came in over
the Southern railway at 4 o'clock exactly on schedule. The trip from
Lynchburg, where the last speech was delivered, was without incident,
the President spending the time reading and conversing with friends.
The President took no pains to conceal his delight at getting
home, and was markedly cordial in his greeting to those who had
gathered in the train shed to meet him.
With the greetings over, and a little cheer from the few who had
located the White House carriage at the rear end of the train shed,
the President stepped into the vehicle and was driven at once to the
White House.
The President expressed himself as thoroughly pleased with his trip.