To my Southern friends

Sun Oct 28 18:11:59 EDT 2007

Gary:

My resource material is at home and I'm on the road, so I can only give you
an overview. Others will I'm sure fill in the details.

This line is of course the former Washington-Atlanta main line of the
Southern Railway. In days gone by it was all double track but now mostly single
track with passing sidings in the area you'll traverse. In addition to the
trains via Greensboro and Charlotte, trains via Lynchburg, Roanoke, and
Bristol used this line as far south as Lynchburg, where they switched to the N&W.
Monroe, VA, north of Lynchburg, was the northern end of the division that
began in Spencer and also the actual engine change location between N&W and
Southern power for the trains via Bristol.

This line can lay claim to being truly "fabled in story and song," as it's
the route chronicled in the song "Wreck of the Old 97".
_http://www.blueridgeinstitute.org/ballads/old97song.html_
(http://www.blueridgeinstitute.org/ballads/old97song.html) (Until I researched this web site I didn't know there
were ten verses; I'd only heard verses three through six and ten before!)
Reciting (or singing if you're up to it) the lyrics as you traverse the locations
mentioned in the song might be entertaining for your patrons.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 10/28/2007 12:37:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,