Buchanan County Virginia Tourist Train

Sat Oct 27 22:29:10 EDT 2007

Hi Guys, here is an article from my father-in-law’s
CONSOL ENERGY NEWS
Fall Edition 2007

Buchanan Tourism Right On Track

CONSOL ENERGY recently presented the Buchanan County
(Virginia) Tourist Train Development Authority with a
locomotive engine to be used for the county’s tourist train
project. The engine (looks like an Alco S4 to me-JK) was
previously used at CONSOL’s VP-8 mine (Virginia Pocahontas
mine #8) at Deskins, Virginia (located on county route 620,
South of Vansant-JK) and before that at VP-1 (located near
the coke ovens on Dismal Creek-JK).

“We are pleased to play a part in helping Buchanan County
achieve its goals for the tourist train project,” said John
Zachwieja, vice president – Central Appalachia
Operations. “As Buchanan County’s second largest employer
and a major contributor to it’s coal and gas tax receipts,
we are happy to find another way to give back to the
community which contributes to our success in Virginia as a
company”.

The Tourist Train Development Authority was just as
pleased. The authority’s executive director, Craig Horn,
said “CONSOL’s donation will save the Tourist Train
Development Authority of Buchanan County $40,000. and allow
funding to be available for other needed items”.

The authority has been working for several years (this is
the first that I’d heard of it–JK) to establish a tourist
train attraction to the Whitewood-Jewell Valley area of
Buchanan County.

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Va.