Is "Parent Company" a Misnomer? Rails and such . . .

Wed Oct 31 09:30:31 EDT 2007

When I was at Portsmouth in the mid-60's they were using "78"s (actually a pair of 39's welded together) in road crossings and in sharp curves.

EdKing
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: Is "Parent Company" a Misnomer? Rails and such . . .

My impression is that N&W was slow to adopt welded rail
You're right there, Sam. Before the welding plant at Bellevue,
rail-welding was done at the Roadway Material Yard at
Shaffers Crossing. In fact, that facility welded rail for the
RF&P before welding rail for N&W. From recollection here,
but I believe one of the Material Yard's first N&W projects was
to weld rail for the tracks in the passenger station at
Bluefield.
Harry Bundy