1907 - New Railroad Completed

Tue Nov 6 05:56:35 EST 2007

This is interesting. Its a shame this railroad is now gone. I remember when they abandoned the last remnants of it in 1991. An attempt to make it into a hiking and biking trail ran into quite a bit of resistance by the residents living along the right of way, so that never worked out either. I had no idea it was known as the Black Mountain Railway though.

Now, all that is left is a few trestles and a largely overgrown right of way.

Ben Blevins

Roanoke Times - November 1, 1907

New Railroad Completed

Bristol, Va., Oct. 31 - Special - The Black Mountain Railway, which
is a continuation of the Virginia and Southwestern from Appalachia,
Va., into the Lee county, Virginia, coal fields, has been completed,
and trains for the handling of coal will now go direct from Bristol
into the Lee county coal operations independent of the L. and N.
system. This new road gives the Southern railway its first
independent connection with the rich coal deposits of Southwest
Virginia. The new road is nearly thirty miles in length.

- Ron Davis, Roger Link