NS info from Bristol to Bulls Gap

Thu Nov 8 20:55:47 EST 2007

Ford is the signal that governs movements at the west end of Bristol Yard.

Gary Price

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } A portion of the Norfolk Southern runs from Bulls Gap, TN to Bristol, TN/VA. This was once the Southern RR and is, I believe, the original line from Knoxville to Bristol. I live in Jonesborough, TN about half way between the two cities. Since my home abuts the railroad and I have a scanner to listen to the dispatcher, I am trying to get familiar with all the names and mileposts in the area.

Bristol is mile zero going towards Bulls Gap which is railroad west. I live at mile post 32 +. I have located many of the mileposts between the two cities and have become reasonable familiar with the names used by the dispatcher.

I am interested in learning;

1. The train number and type of fright carried for all the trains.
2. The location of certain names used by the dispatcher such as Curtis, Jones (it is not Jonesborough), Ford (west of Jonesborough)
3. What is the accepted name or nick name for this section of the NS?

Any direct answer and/or the names of web sites that will help me gain a through knowledge of this line and trains will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter L. Heimbach